The Huddersfield Archaeological and Topographical Association was formed in the spring of 1863 with the aim of promoting "interest in the history and archaeology of the Huddersfield area". The founding members were John Nowell of Farnley Tyas, Rev. Thomas James of Netherthong, and Henry James Morehouse of Stoney Bank.
The first public meeting was held on 8 July 1864 at the Philosophical Hall on Ramsden Street in Huddersfield.
The association soon expanded to cover the whole of the county of Yorkshire and was renamed the Yorkshire Archaeological and Topographical Association following a General Meeting held at Pontefract on 31 August 1869.
It is currently the Yorkshire Archaeological and Historical Society.