Huddersfield and Manchester Railway and Canal Company

After the completion of the Manchester & Leeds Railway (M&LR) in 1841, which passed three miles to the north of Huddersfield, a number of schemes were proposed to provide a rail link to the town.

courtesy of railarchive.org.uk

In April 1844 the Huddersfield & Manchester Railway & Canal scheme was proposed with the aim of building a line through Huddersfield with a capital of £600,000:

The members of the company's provisional committee included Joseph Walker of Lascelles Hall, Joseph Armitage of Milnsbridge House, and William Leigh Brook of Meltham Hall.

The company's Parliamentary Act was given Royal Assent on 21 July 1845. A second shorter Act was passed in July 1846 to amend the route through Huddersfield and to formally agree that a section of the line — including the section through Huddersfield Railway Station — would be operated jointly with the Huddersfield & Sheffield Junction Railway (H&SJR). The two companies also agreed to jointly operate the new railway station.

At a meeting held on 28 February 1846, the company decided against becoming part of the proposed Manchester, Sheffield & Lincolnshire Railway (MS&LR).[1] Instead, the MS&LR was formed on 1 January 1847 from the following companies:

The company was acquired in 1847 by the London & North Western Railway (L&NWR).

Although the Manchester & Huddersfield Railway Company no longer existed as a separate entity, its logo was incorporated into the right-hand booking office of the railway station at Huddersfield.

Further Reading

Notes and References

  1. "Huddersfield and Manchester Railway and Canal" in Railway Times (07/Mar/1846).