Hubert Wood Sykes (c.1888-1916)
Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922
The following extract is from Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922 (2014) by J. Margaret Stansfield:
- SYKES, HUBERT WOOD. Private. No 26878. 11th Battalion Lancashire Fusiliers. Born Slaithwaite. Eldest son of Mrs A Sykes, 21 Longlands Road, Slaithwaite. Employed as a weaver by Messrs Pearson Brothers, Commercial Mills, Slaithwaite. He formerly attended Slaithwaite Parish Church but afterwards went to the Zion Baptist Church. Was a member of the Socialist Club. Enlisted 5.11.1915. After seven months training at Clipstone Camp he embarked for France in June, 1916. Killed in action, 22.8.1916, during the Battle of the Somme. He was 28 years of age. Buried LONSDALE CEMETERY. Grave location:- Special Memorial B 5.
- Brother of Private TOM ERIC SYKES killed in action, 3.5.1917.
Commonwealth War Graves Commission
- Private HUBERT WOOD SYKES
- regiment: Lancashire Fusiliers
- died: Tuesday, August 22, 1916
- age: 28 years
- record ID: 532419
- Commonwealth War Graves Commission (ID #532419)
- Imperial War Museums: Lives of the First World War (ID #4341920)