Hubert Wood (1890-1917)
Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922
The following extract is from Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922 (2014) by J. Margaret Stansfield:
- WOOD, HUBERT. Private. No 47200. 9th Battalion West Yorkshire Regiment. Formerly No 29819 Northumberland Fusiliers. Born Gomersal, Yorkshire. Married. Lived 22 Tandem, Kirkheaton. Was the owner of a fish and chip business at Kirkheaton. Enlisted in 1916. Reported missing, presumed killed, on 27.8.1917 during the Battle of Passchendaele. Has no known grave. Commemorated TYNE COT MEMORIAL TO THE MISSING.
- The following extract in taken from "Passchendaele: The Day by Day Account" by Chris McCarthy, '11th Division (XV111 Corps). 32nd Brigade:- The advance started well for the 9th West Yorkshires but soon came under fire from Pheasant Trench and Vancouver. However, they pressed on. The right came under fire from Vieilles Maisons and they seized the nearest concrete buildings. Two platoons from the 6th York and Lancs. were sent up to reinforce.'
Commonwealth War Graves Commission
- Private HUBERT WOOD
- regiment: West Yorkshire Regiment
- died: Monday, August 27, 1917
- record ID: 875629
- Commonwealth War Graves Commission (ID #875629)
- Imperial War Museums: Lives of the First World War (ID #4851331)