GEOGRAPHIC STUBThis page is a bare-bones entry for a location which appears on an historic Ordnance Survey map. More detailed information may eventually be added...
- appears on maps: 1890 [#418]
- location: accessed via Howarth Lane, Lockwood
- status: no longer exists
- category: property
- notes: cluster of 4 or 5 properties
The History of Lockwood and North Crosland (1980) by Brian Clarke:
A small suburb of Lockwood, founded by a family of the name of Howarth in 1589 but first mentioned as a residential area in 1777. The remains of this hamlet now lie hidden under the railway line and that part of David Brown’s factory that originally was William Whiteley’s. The only remaining link is Howarth Lane which runs from Swan Lane towards Moor End.