Marked as Honley T.P. (Toll Point) on the 1854 O.S. map, it was situated on the Huddersfield and Woodhead Turnpike (now A616 & A6024) at the junction with the Wadsley and Langsett Turnpike (now A616).
It later became a lodge house for Northgate Mount. The lodge was later rebuilt a few yards to the east, presumably to allow for widening of the road junction.