Honley Local Board
Typically elected by local rate payers and property owners, Local Boards were formed following the Public Health Act 1848 and the subsequent Local Government Act 1858, and had responsibility for the oversight of sewers, water supplies, public toilets, street cleaning, slaughterhouses, pavements, and burial grounds within their district.
The first meeting of the local board took place on 7 December 1864 with James Robinson of Smithy Place elected the first chairman.
Honley Local Board was abolished towards the end of 1894 and replaced by Honley Urban District Council.
Notes and References
- The History of Honley and its Hamlets from the Earliest Time to the Present (1914) by Mary A. Jagger, chapter 4.