A list of "Unions and Parishes" complied for the 1862 Parliamentary Papers stated that the township of Honley included the hamlets of "Dean House, Halling, Oldfield, Shady Row, Smithy Place, Upper Hagg, Woodbottom, and Woodnook".
Honley Local Board was formed in June 1864 and was superseded by Honley Urban District Council at the end of 1894. After a proposal to enlarge Honley Urban District was rejected by the Minster of Health in November 1936, it was subsequently abolished and became part of Holmfirth Urban District on 1 April 1938.
Pigot and Co.'s Royal National and Commercial Directory of August 1841:
Honley is a populous chapelry, in the parish of Aldmonbury and wapentake of Agbrigg, West Riding ; situated about 34 miles south from Huddersfield, upon the river Colne. Fancy and other woollen goods are manufactured to a very great extent ; there are, besides, scribbling and fulling mills, and dye works — the entire furnishing employment to a great number of persons. The Earl of Dartmouth is lord of the manor, and holds a court, by his steward, annually in October, when a constable is appointed, and cases of trespass and damage adjudged. The places of worship are a chapel of ease, and one each for Wesleyan methodists and independents : the living of Honley is a perpetual curacy, in the gift of the vicar of Aldmondbury ; the present curate is the Rev. Charles Drawbridge. The chapelry contained, by the returns for 1831, 4,523 inhabitants.
A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848) edited by Samuel Lewis:
HONLEY, a chapelry, in the parish of Almondbury, union of Huddersfield, Upper division of the wapentake of Agbrigg, W. riding of York, 3½ miles (S. by W.) from Huddersfield; containing 5383 inhabitants. This chapelry, which is beautifully situated in the picturesque vale of the Holme, comprises 2441a. 2r. 12p., chiefly the property of the Earl of Dartmouth, who is lord of the manor; the surface is undulated, the higher grounds command extensive and diversified views, and the scenery is in many parts picturesque, and embellished with wood. The village stands close to the river, and on the western acclivities of the vale, reaching to their summit. The inhabitants are principally employed in the manufacture of woollen and fancy cloths, for which there are several factories on the banks of the river. Excellent stone for roads and buildings is procured in abundance at Scott Gate Head quarry; and coal of inferior quality is obtained in large quantities. The chapel, dedicated to St. Mary, was rebuilt by subscription, in 1842-3, in the early English style, and consists of a nave and aisles, with a tower at the west end. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £180; patron, the Vicar of Almondbury. There are places of worship for Independents, Primitive Methodists, Methodists of the New Connexion, and Wesleyans.
Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1872) edited by John Marius Wilson:
HONLEY, a village, a township-chapelry, and a subdistrict in Almondbury parish, Huddersfield district, W. R. Yorkshire. The village stands on the river Holme, 1 mile SSW of a station of its own name on the Huddersfield and Sheffield railway, and 4 S by W of Huddersfield; and has a post office under Huddersfield, and fairs on the first Wednesday of May, and the Wednesday after 23 Oct. The chapelry contains also the hamlets of Deanhouse, Brockholes, Oldfield, Smithy-Place, Shady-Row, Halling, Upper Hagg, Woodnook, and Woodbottom. Acres, 2,790. Real property, £14,061; of which £120 are in mines, £20 in quarries, and £25 in gas works. Pop. in 1851, 5,595; in 1861, 4,626. Houses, 987. The decrease of pop. was caused by exhaustion of collieries, and by reduction of workmen at manufactories. The property is much subdivided. The manor belongs to the Earl of Dartmouth. There are extensive woollen mills, fulling mills, and a brewery. The living is a p. curacy, united with the chapelry of Brockholes, in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £200. Patron, the Vicar of Almondbury. The church was rebuilt in 1843; is in the early English style; consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with a tower; and contains two handsome monuments to the Brook family. A chapel of ease is at Brockholes; and there are seven dissenting chapels, two national schools, a mechanics' institute, and a workhouse. The sub-district includes also the township of Netherthong. Acres, 3,640. Pop., 5,723.
- Articles about Honley
- Books about Honley
- Maps of Honley
- People connected to Honley
- Public houses and inns in Honley
The extent of the Civil Parish of Honley (compiled from O.S. maps of the early 1890s) is shown below.