Holmfirth Urban District
The Holmfirth Urban District was formed at the end of 1894, replacing the Holmfirth Local Board District (formed 1884).
The district was administered by Holmfirth Urban District Council. The elected urban districts councils replaced Local Boards following the Local Government Act of 1894 and were given increased powers and responsibilities under the Act.
The Holmfirth Urban District initially comprised six wards — Austonley, Cartworth, Holmfirth North Central, Holmfirth South Central, Upperthong, and Wooldale — each represented by three members.
The nominations for the first council were as follows (those marked * were members of the previous local boards and those in italics withdrew before the election):
- Frank Greenwood (manufacturer) of Wellhouse
- Joseph Albert Greenwood* (manufacturer) of Hoobram
- Firth Hobson* (gentleman) of Bottoms
- George Henry Ingham (schoolmaster) of Field End
- Henry Roberts (gentleman) of Spring Bank
- Thomas Sykes* (foreman warper) of Hinchliff Mill
- George Wibberley (gentleman) of Hinchliff Mill
- John Barber* (manufacturer) of Hollin Brigg
- William Walter Battye (machine maker) of Hinchliff Mill
- Henry Moorhouse (farmer) of Hillhouse
- Edwin Overend* (mill manager) of Marble Hall
- George Roebuck (farmer) of Holmbridge
- Sam Taylor (woollen weaver) of Lane Bottom, Hinchliff Mill
- Robert Turner (licensed victualler) of Cartworth Moor
- Holmfirth North Central
- Samuel Collins* (stationer) of Victoria Street
- John Moorhouse* (shoemaker) of South Lane
- Thomas Sykes (furniture dealer) of Lane End
- Joseph Tyas (gentleman) of Claremount
- John Eli Wimpenny (gentleman) of Springfield Terrace
- Holmfirth South Central
- Abel Beaumont (innkeeper) of Underbank
- William Brown* (joiner) of Hawthorn Bank
- Joe Quarmby (butcher) of Rotcher
- Alexander Shaw (grocer) of Centenary Street
- Noah Wagstaffe (weaver) of Underbank
- Franklin Shaw Whittell (gentleman) of South House
- William Butterworth (manufacturer) of Sunny Bank
- Robert Haigh* (hay & straw dealer)
- Firth Hobson (gentleman) of Bottoms
- Henry Hollingworth (grocer) of Lower Bank
- Henry Parson* (boot maker) of Upperbridge
- Eli Exley Quarmby (painter & decorator) of Upperbridge
- Henry Roberts (gentleman) of Spring Bank
- Edward Tinker (commercial traveller) of St. John's Place
- Joshua Woodhead (chemical manufacturer) of Bank, Burnlee
- Joseph Booth (farmer) of Cliffe
- Thomas Brook (tailor & draper) of Wooldale
- George Hebblethwaite (gentleman) of Wooldale
- John Holmes (rope & twine manufacturer) of Kirk Royds
- Alexander McClellan (clerk) of Horsegate Hill
- James William Mellor (gentleman) of Lydgate View
- James Henry Redfearn (woollen warper) of Wooldale
- James Moorhouse (gentleman) of Heys
Netherthong Urban District was incorporated into an enlarged Holmfirth Urban District in 1912.
The district was enlarged on 1 April 1938 with the addition of the following (population figures are from the 1931 Census):
- 2,241 acres of Holme Urban District — population 368
- Honley Urban District — 1,890 acres, population 4,611
- 4,212 acres of New Mill Urban District — population 4,250
- 82 acres of South Crosland Urban District — population 151
- 730 acres of Thurstonland and Farnley Tyas Urban District — population 427
Holmfirth Urban District was abolished on 1 April 1974 when it became part of the Holme Valley Civil Parish, administered by Holmfirth Parish Council (renamed Holme Valley Parish Council in 1975).
The following annual reports of the Medical Officer of Health for Holmfirth U.D. are available to read online:
- 1918, 1925, 1937, 1938, 1939, 1940, 1941, 1942, 1944, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1956, 1957, 1958, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, and 1970
The initial extent of Holmfirth Urban District is show below in green, together with the extent of Netherthong Urban District (incorporated in 1912) in blue:
Following the enlargement in 1938, the extent of the urban district is shown below (with the original boundary shown as a dashed red line):
Notes and References
- "The New District Councils" in Huddersfield Chronicle (08/Dec/1894).
- "Redistribution" in Sheffield Daily Telegraph (05/Oct/1917).
- The remaining 1,223 acres of Holme Urban District was added to an enlarged Penistone Rural District (which in turn was abolished in 1974 to become part of the new Metropolitan Borough of Barnsley).
- The remaining 2,047 acres of New Mill Urban District was added to an enlarged Penistone Rural District (which in turn was abolished in 1974 to become part of the new Metropolitan Borough of Barnsley).
- Of the remaining land in South Crosland Urban District, 957 acres was transferred to the County Borough of Huddersfield and 772 acres to Meltham Urban District.
- The remaining 3,161 acres of Thurstonland and Farnley Tyas Urban District was added to an enlarged Kirkburton Urban District.
- Based on the 1906 O.S. map.