Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Huddersfield Road, Holmfirth
- location: off Huddersfield Road, Holmfirth
- status: no longer exists
- category: church or chapel
The first Wesleyan chapel was located on land at Cuttell Bottom and opened in 1789, but soon proved too small to serve the growing number of worshipers. The site off Huddersfield Road was subsequently acquired and a new chapel that could accommodate a congregation of 800 was built in 1810 at a cost of around £2,700. A Sunday School was built behind the chapel which also acted as a Day School.
By the 1860s, a decision was made to build a new two-storey chapel on the site and the foundation stones were laid in April 1871. The second chapel, which opened in September 1872, cost a reported £5,505 and could accommodate 1,000. After a century of use, this chapel was demolished to make way for a current Holmfirth Methodist Church, which opened in 1976. The single-storey building adjoins the former school building.
- Huddersfield & District Family History Society — baptisms 1812-1829
- Huddersfield & District Family History Society — baptisms 1792-1939
- Huddersfield & District Family History Society — burials 1811-1837 & memorial inscriptions
Notes and References
- ↑ Holmfirth Methodist Circuit Bicentenary 1810-2010 (2010) compiled by Peter Beetlestone.