Holmfirth Mechanics' Institute
The Holmfirth Mechanics' Institute was formed in 1843, with around 50 members joining within the first few weeks. The first president was John Harpin.
In July 1852, members of the institute enjoyed an excursion to Ebenezer Tinker's newly-built observatory at Pike Law (later known as Tinker's Monument. By the evening, around 1,300 people had congregated on the hill and a number of visitors were permitted to look at the moon through Tinker's six inch reflecting telescope. The device's maker, George Creaser of Meltham, was in attendance and brought along two more telescopes.
By October 1852, the institute had established a public reading and news room at a new premises on Victoria Street.
In July 1855, an excursion to the grounds of F. R. Jones' model farm at Harden Moss attracted around 3,000 people. Around 50 of the institute's members enjoyed a rail excursion to Liverpool and the Isle of Man in August 1851.
Notes and References
- "Holmfirth Mechanics' Institution" in Leeds Intelligencer (30/Nov/1844).
- "Holmfirth" in Huddersfield Chronicle (23/Nov/1850).
- "Holmfirth" in Huddersfield Chronicle (31/Jul/1852).
- "Notices to Correspondents" in Huddersfield & Holmfirth Examiner (23/Oct/1852) and "Holmfirth" in Huddersfield Chronicle *(23/Oct/1852).
- "Holmfirth" in Huddersfield Chronicle (14/Jul/1855).
- "Holmfirth" in Huddersfield & Holmfirth Examiner (21/Aug/1855).