Holme Urban District
The Holme Urban District was formed at the end of 1894, replacing the Holme Local Board.
The district was administered by Holme Urban District Council which initially comprised six councillors. The elected urban districts councils replaced Local Boards following the Local Government Act of 1894 and were given increased powers and responsibilities under the Act.
The nominations for the first district council were recorded as follows (those marked * were members of the Local Board):
- Edward Alderson (delver) of Holme Bank
- Benjamin Broadhurst (farmer) of Holme
- Anthony Green* (commission agent) of Schole Croft, Holme
- Ben Haigh (cloth finisher) of Holme
- John Haigh* (farmer) of Holme [Chairman of the Local Board]
- Albert Howard* (farmer) of Holme Woods
- Richard Littlewood* (farmer) of Holme
- Thomas Henry Singleton (delver) of Holme
- Henry Whiteley (manufacturer) of Holme
Holme Urban District was abolished on 1 April 1938 with the area divided as follows:
- 2,241 acres (with a population of 368 in 1931) added to the enlarged Holmfirth Urban District
- 1,223 acres (reportedly uninhabited) added to the enlarged Penistone Rural District
The extent of the urban district is show below (based on the 1906 O.S. map):
Notes and References
- "The New District Councils" in Huddersfield Daily Chronicle (07/Dec/1894).
- "Redistribution" in Sheffield Daily Telegraph (05/Oct/1917).