Holme Electric Company, Limited
The Holme Electric Company Ltd. was established in 1915 by Holmfirth woollen manufacturer Charles Tinker.
Electricity was generated from a turbine installed in a temporary building on the former site of Rake Mill, and made use of the existing mill race. Tinker had initially paid for the turbine in order that his house at Lanehead, Holme, could be supplied with power.
This company has [...] been registered with a capital of £1,000 in £1 shares, to carry on at Holme and elsewhere in the West Riding of Yorkshire the business of an electric light company in all its branches. No share shall be allotted or transferred to a person who is not either (1) a ratepayer of the Urban District of Holme, or (2) a resident within the said district, or (3) an owner of property within such district. The subscribers are: C. Tinker, Lane Head, Holme, near Holmfirth, manufacturer; H. Howard, Holme, near Holmfirth, farmer; A. Howard, Holme, near Holmfirth, surveyor; H. Batty, Holme, near Holmfirth, teamer; J. Batty, Holme, near Holmfirth, farmer; P. Haigh, Holme, near Holmfirth, warper; Hubert Hadfield, Holme, near Holmfirth, farmer. Minimum cash subscription £800. The first directors are C. Tinker, H. Howard, C. Beardsell, Harry Hatfield, and R. Calvert. Registered Office, Council Offices, Holme, near Holmfirth.
In September 1915, Tinker offered to supply electricity to the Holme School.
According to an article published in the Yorkshire Evening Post in 1919, around 200 local villagers paid an annual charge of 30 shillings to light their home with up to three bulbs. Extra light bulbs were charged at 4 shillings each.
The operation was handed over to the Holme Urban District Council in 1919, and the company was voluntarily wound up in January 1920. The Electrical Review journal noted that Tinker had purchased all of the company's shares (valued at a total of £900) prior to the handover.
Notes and References
- "New Companies" in Sheffield Independent (27/May/1915).
- Yorkshire Post (23/Jun/1915).
- "Holmfirth District Education Committee" in Huddersfield Daily Examiner (15/Sep/1915).