This page is a bare-bones entry for a specific location. More detailed information may eventually be added...
- appears on maps: 1892 [#70]
- location on map: Field End Lane, Holmbridge
- status: exists but under a different use
- category: school
- notes: closed 1894
Historic England Listing
- Grade II
- first listed 04 August 1983
- listing entry number 1313546
FIELDEND LANE (Holmbridge). Church of England Primary School. School, dated 1841. Hammer dressed stone with ashlar dressings. Stone slate roof with roll top copings on large carved kneelers. One ashlar stack and small ashlar bell cote. Single storey plus basement. Seven bays. The central bay is gabled with colonette in apex. Heavily moulded central Tudor arched doorway with hood mould. Above this is plaque with inscription: "ERECTED BY VOLUNTARY CONTRIBUTION AIDED BY GRANTS FROM THE NATIONAL SOCIETY AND THE COMMITTEE OF COUNCIL OF EDUCATION AD 1841 The Entrance of thy Words Giveth Life It Giveth Understanding unto the Simple." To each side are 3 bays of 2-light windows with pointed arches and hood mould. Rear has 6 windows as front.