Hole in the Wall, Linthwaite
In July 1854, notices were posted declaring William Garside, residing at the Hole in the Wall and a "beerseller and occasional warper", an insolvent debtor. He was petitioned to appear in court on 31 July 1854.
By 1857, quarrier Joshua Armitage was resident at the property.
In Slaithwaite Notes: Past and Present (1905) the author described it as "formerly a public house, now in a dilapidated condition".
The Hole in the Wall was demolished in the early 1900s to make way for Crosland Heath Golf Club, which opened circa 1914. The public right of way, which once ran past the property, still exists.
|1841||clothier Joseph Taylor (50), Maria Taylor (40), Elizabeth Beaumont (70) and Humphrey Fairbank (25)|
|weaver John Whiteley (40), Rachel Whiteley (35), Charlotte Whiteley (10), Alfred Whiteley (8), Alice Whiteley (2) and James Whiteley (1)|
|weaver Joseph Quarmby (25), Hannah Quarmby (25), Emma Quarmby (7) and Abel Quarmby (1)|
|1851||property names not given on the Census|
|1861||stone dealer Joshua Armitage (43), his wife Hannah H. (41), and their children Moses Bray (17), John (14), Sarah (13), Elizabeth A. (13), Charlotte (9), Dan (7), Joshua (6), Hannah (4), Tom (2) and Joe (9 months)|
|1871||stone quarrier Henry Levi Lunn (43), his wife Hannah (44), and their children Henry (7) and Mary (3)|
|1881||farm labourer Charles Shillito (60), his wife Mary (65), children Betty (24), George (21), and widow Rachel Heeley (27) and her children James William Heeley (5) and David Heeley (11 months)|
|stone quarry man Levi Lunn (53), his wife Hannah (53) and son Tom (8)|
|1891||farm labourer Henry Dunning (38), his wife Harriet (33), and their children John (10), Rachel (8), Charles (5), Alice (3) and Gertrude (1)|
Discovering Old Huddersfield
Extract from Discovering Old Huddersfield (1993-2002) by Gordon & Enid Minter
A few yards beyond The Royalty stop briefly by a gateway on the left for another view of the boundary lane, this time at the point where it parts company with the road to Huddersfield. N.B. This is the narrow lane running down the hill, not the path across the field.
A few yards further on, notice on the right a public footpath sign. The path once led to an inn called Hole in the Wall (or Th' oile in t' Wall) which stood a hundred and fifty yards (147 M) back from the road. Intriguingly, this house sat on the line of an old footway (not the present path) which aligned perfectly with the boundary lane and which ran along the present day golf course and the fields beyond towards the bridge at Blackmoorfoot. Like the boundary lane, this footway also followed a boundary, here between South Crosland and Linthwaite. Such a combination of path, alignment, boundary and inn strongly suggests that this was the predecessor of the present route to Blackmoorfoot but if so, it is difficult to decide when it was replaced although, obviously, 1759 springs to mind. If a footway has been used regularly, some indication of its presence often remains on the ground. Unfortunately, no trace of this one remains today, presumably because when the golf club closed it in 1914 they disturbed the ground to build their new course. Strangely though it is not evident in the fields beyond the golf course where we might have expected to see it as a faint sunken way descending the hillside towards Blackmoorfoot. So, although the possibility of this old road can be suggested, lack of evidence on the ground means it cannot be asserted.
The Hole in the Wall was demolished soon after 1914 and all that remains to remind us of its presence is the right of way across the golf course.
Notes and References
- "Legal Notices" in Huddersfield Chronicle (15/Jul/1854).
- His daughter Henrietta died on 7 January 1857, aged 6.