Hinchliffe Mill Improvement Society

The Hinchliffe Mill Improvement Society was reportedly formed circa 1848.

The annual report read at the November 1850 stated that the society had 52 members and 296 volumes in the library. The treasurer reported a balance of £3 4s. 9d.[1] The following year, the society had 72 members, 327 volumes, and a balance of £3 17s. 3d.[2] By November 1852, the figures were 77 members, 371 volumes, and a balance of nearly £6.[3]

The Austonley Scientific Society was amalgamated into the Hinchliffe Mill Improvement Society at the end of 1853, increasing the membership to around 100.

Notes and References

  1. "Holmfirth" in Huddersfield Chronicle (09/Nov/1850).
  2. "Holmfirth" in Huddersfield Chronicle (08/Nov/1850).
  3. "Holmfirth" in Huddersfield Chronicle (13/Nov/1850).