Hildred Allen (c.1896-1918)
Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922
The following extract is from Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922 (2014) by J. Margaret Stansfield:
- ALLEN, HILDRED, MM. Sergeant. No 305544. 2/7th Battalion Duke of Wellington's Regiment. Son of Mr and Mrs Thomas Allen, 1 Station Terrace, Longwood, and formerly of 12 Sandwell Street, Hill Top, Slaithwaite. Worked at the Globe Worsted Company. Attended St. James's Church Sunday School, Slaithwaite. Was a member of the Slaithwaite Cricket and Bowling Club. Enlisted 31.8.1914. Embarked for France 10.1.1917. Had been twice wounded. Awarded the Military Medal in August, 1917. Died from suffocation by charcoal fumes from a brazier whilst sleeping in his dugout, 18.5.1918, aged 21 years. Buried in BIENVILLERS MILITARY CEMETERY. Grave location:- Plot 16, Row D, Grave 10.
- ROH:- St. Mark's Parish Church, Longwood; St. James Church, Slaithwaite; Huddersfield Drill Hall; Slaithwaite War Memorial.
Commonwealth War Graves Commission
- Serjeant ALLEN
- regiment: Duke of Wellington's Regiment (West Riding)
- died: Saturday, May 18, 1918
- age: 20 years
- record ID: 265409
- Commonwealth War Graves Commission (ID #265409)
- Imperial War Museums: Lives of the First World War (ID #4999598)