Highland Laddie, Turton's Edge, Austonley
- also known as: Turtons, Shepherds Boy
- location: Turton's Edge, Austonley
- status: no longer exists
- category: farmhouse & beershop/beerhouse
Originally a property known as Turtons, it was the residence of farmer Arthur Turton at the time of the 1841 Census.
By the early 1850s, it had become the the Highland Laddie beer shop (later beerhouse).
In April 1864, beerhouse keeper William Bradley was charged with selling beer outside of hours.
In August 1879, Wilford Tinker transferred his beerhouse licence to the nearby Isle of Skye Inn and the property ceased to be a licenced premises.
- 1851 — beershop keeper widow Sarah Hall (aged 44)
- 1861 — beerhouse keeper Samuel Blackshaw (aged 57)
- 1871 — farmer & beerhouse keeper Wilford Tinker (aged 25)
Notes and References
- Son of clothier John Turton, baptised 23 April 1775 at Holy Trinity, Holmfirth. Died aged 81, buried 10 June 1855 at St. Bartholomew, Meltham.
- "County Court" in Huddersfield Chronicle (04/Sep/1852).
- "Holmfirth: Selling Beer Without a Licence" in Huddersfield Chronicle (23/Apr/1864).
- "Holmfirth" in Huddersfield Chronicle (13/Nov/1869).