St. James' Presbyterian Church, Waverley Road, Huddersfield
- location: Waverley Road, Huddersfield
- status: still exists but now in different use
- category: church or chapel
Built 1910-11 to replace an earlier Presbyterian place of worship which had used the neighbouring Waverley House from 1902.
The corner stone was laid on Saturday 25 June 1910 by Sir Henry Robson and the architect was F.J. Parkinson of Blackburn. The church was opened on Saturday 6 May 1911 by the Mayor of Huddersfield, councillor George Thomson and the dedication ceremony was performed by the Rev. D. Thornton of London. The reported cost of the church was £3,100.
The congregation of Highfield United Reformed Church joined in 1978 to form Highfield St James United Reformed Church. On 1 September 2006, it became the Waverley United Reform Church after amalgamating with Paddock Shared Church.
Notes and References
- "New Huddersfield Church" in Leeds Mercury (27/Jun/1910) and "Ecclesiastical News" in Yorkshire Post (27/Jun/1910).
- "New Presbyterian Church at Huddersfield" in Yorkshire Post (08/May/1911).
- West Yorkshire Archive Service: Off the Record.
- "New name as two churches merge" in Huddersfield Examiner (21/Aug/2006).