High Gate House, Lockwood
- also known as: Highgate Cottage
- location: Hanson Lane, Lockwood
- status: still exists
- category: property
The History of Lockwood and North Crosland (1980) by Brian Clarke:
Although only a small cottage this building deserves mention as one of the older ordinary working man's homes in the area. The exact date of erection is not known but it was around the year 1630, being built by the Whitley Beaumonts as a Game-Keeper's Cottage, the "game" being in Dungeon Wood (now Beaumont Park). The earliest mention of this house so far discovered is an entry in Almondbury Parish Registers for 1636 and a further note in the Beaumont file for 1767 shows the occupants as Hannah Grimes and John Brook. Mention of this cottage can also be found in this book, in the chapter dealing with churches, the building being used as a form of Mission Church to a Methodist congregation around 1840 under the leadership of Mr. T. Chapman.
Until recent years this cottage was part of the Beaumont Estate and although the house is now privately owned the Beaumont Estate has retained the right for the passage of coaches, horses and cattle along the short drive leading off Hanson Lane.
The house is built upon bedrock and, at the rear, into the bedrock. All the walls are of drystone construction. The building for most of its history, consisted of two dwellings. Nowadays the building is just one residence and due to careful modernisation it has lost none of its "farmhouse" character.