Herman Sanderson (c.1891-1916)
An ongoing project to commemorate and research the lives of those who appear on war memorials and rolls of honour in the local area, who served in the military, or whose deaths were linked to conflict.
Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922
The following extract is from Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922 (2014) by J. Margaret Stansfield:
- SANDERSON, HERMAN. Private. No 4826. 5th Battalion Seaforth Highlanders. Born Thongsbridge. Son of Joseph Sanderson, Back Lane, Berry Brow, Huddersfield. Married, with two children. Employed as a confectioner by Messrs Whiteleys of Westgate, Huddersfield. Was a member of the Berry Brow Liberal Club and a former scholar of Salem School. Was a well known local vocalist. Enlisted April 1916. Embarked for France in September, 1916. Died of wounds at No 49 Casualty Clearing Station on 16.11.1916, aged 25 years. Buried CONTAY BRITISH CEMETERY. Grave location:- Plot 8, Row B, Grave 6.
- ROH:- Armitage Bridge War Memorial.
Commonwealth War Graves Commission
- Private SANDERSON
- regiment: Seaforth Highlanders
- died: Thursday, November 16, 1916
- record ID: 81867
- Commonwealth War Graves Commission (ID #81867)
- Imperial War Museums: Lives of the First World War (ID #3895035)