Herbert Whiteley (c.1892-1916)
Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922
The following extract is from Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922 (2014) by J. Margaret Stansfield:
- WHITELEY, HERBERT. Private. No 4691. 1/5th Battalion Duke of Wellington's Regiment. Born Halifax. Son of the late John Whiteley and Mrs Whiteley, Colne Terrace, Manchester Road, Linthwaite. Attended Slaithwaite United Methodist Church Young Men's Class. Acting as accompanist he was also a member of the choir. Enlisted February 1916. Was home on his last leave about Whitsuntide, returning on Whit Sunday to his duties. Embarked for France on 24.6.1916. Killed through the bursting of a shell on 16.9.1916 at the Leipzig Salient during the Battle of the Somme. He was 24 years of age. Has no known grave. Commemorated THIEPVAL MEMORIAL TO THE MISSING.
- Brother of Private ARTHUR WHITELEY killed in action, 26.8.1918.
Commonwealth War Graves Commission
- Private HERBERT WHITELEY
- regiment: Duke of Wellington's Regiment (West Riding)
- died: Saturday, September 16, 1916
- record ID: 821149
- Commonwealth War Graves Commission (ID #821149)
- Imperial War Museums: Lives of the First World War (ID #4730105)