Herbert Shaw (c.1887-1918)
An ongoing project to commemorate and research the lives of those who appear on war memorials and rolls of honour in the local area, who served in the military, or whose deaths were linked to conflict.
Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922
The following extract is from Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922 (2014) by J. Margaret Stansfield:
- SHAW, HERBERT. Private. No 350389. 12th Battalion Highland Light Infantry. Born Slaithwaite. Husband of Mrs Shaw, Bush Grove Farm, Holthead, Slaithwaite. Employed as a cloth finisher by Messrs Pearson Brothers. Attended Holthead General Sunday School. Enlisted 12.10.1916. Embarked for France 2.9.1917. Reported missing, presumed killed, 25.3.1918. Has no known grave. Commemorated POZIERES MEMORIAL TO THE MISSING.
- ROH:- St. James' Church, Slaithwaite; Slaithwaite War Memorial; Christ Church, Helme.
Commonwealth War Graves Commission
- Private HERBERT SHAW
- regiment: Highland Light Infantry
- died: Monday, March 25, 1918
- record ID: 1588126
- Commonwealth War Graves Commission (ID #1588126)
- Imperial War Museums: Lives of the First World War (ID #3985648)