Herbert McArthur Ainley (1894-1915)
An ongoing project to commemorate and research the lives of those who appear on war memorials and rolls of honour in the local area, who served in the military, or whose deaths were linked to conflict.
Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922
The following extract is from Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922 (2014) by J. Margaret Stansfield:
- AINLEY, HERBERT McARTHUR. Private. No 3185. 1/5th Battalion Duke of Wellington's Regiment. Born 4.3.1894. Son of Law and Margaret Ainley, 24 Regent Road, Edgerton, Huddersfield. Educated at Hillhouse Board School. Worked as a cloth manufacturer at Bay Hall Mills. Enlisted 4.9.1914. Killed in action, 17.11.1915, aged 21 years. Commemorated on the MENIN GATE MEMORIAL TO THE MISSING.
Commonwealth War Graves Commission
- Private HERBERT MCARTHUR AINLEY
- regiment: Duke of Wellington's Regiment (West Riding)
- died: Wednesday, November 17, 1915
- age: 21 years
- record ID: 924993
- Commonwealth War Graves Commission (ID #924993)
- Imperial War Museums: Lives of the First World War (ID #662075)