Herbert James Gutteridge (1897-1917)
An ongoing project to commemorate and research the lives of those who appear on war memorials and rolls of honour in the local area, who served in the military, or whose deaths were linked to conflict.
Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922
The following extract is from Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922 (2014) by J. Margaret Stansfield:
- GUTTERIDGE, HERBERT JAMES (HENRY). Private No 150430. 'A' Company, 52nd Canadian Infantry (Manitoba Regiment). Son of Mr and Mrs George R. Gutteridge, 471 Columbia Street East, New Westminster, British Columbia. (His father was born in Holmfirth and he left for Canada in 1897). He had been eighteen months in the Army and ten months in France. Admitted to Royds Hall War Hospital, Huddersfield, on 11.5.1917 suffering from wounds. Died of wounds, 13.5.1917, aged 20 years. Buried HOLY TRINITY CHURCHYARD, HOYLAKE, CHESHIRE, where his uncle resided. Grave location D, 517.
- ROH:- Holmfirth War Memorial.
Commonwealth War Graves Commission
- Private HENRY JAMES GUTTERIDGE
- regiment: Canadian Infantry
- died: Sunday, May 13, 1917
- age: 20 years
- record ID: 2747239
- Commonwealth War Graves Commission (ID #2747239)
- Imperial War Museums: Lives of the First World War (ID #5908271)