Herbert Holmes Kaye (1886-1918)
An ongoing project to commemorate and research the lives of those who appear on war memorials and rolls of honour in the local area, who served in the military, or whose deaths were linked to conflict.
Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922
The following extract is from Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922 (2014) by J. Margaret Stansfield:
- KAYE, HERBERT HOLMES. Gunner. No 176840. Royal Garrison Artillery. Born Holmfirth. Son of the late Mr Benjamin Kaye and Mrs Kaye of Fartown, Huddersfield and formerly of Lansdowne Terrace, Holmfirth. Educated Almondbury Grammar School. Employed in the counting house of Messrs A. and S. Henry of Huddersfield. Married, with one child who was born just before his father enlisted. Lived Glenthorpe, Holmfirth. Enlisted September 1917. Embarked for France in May, 1918. Died of gunshot wounds, 30.9.1918. Buried TINCOURT NEW BRITISH CEMETERY. Grave location:- Plot 5, Row G, Grave 4.
Commonwealth War Graves Commission
- Gunner KAYE
- regiment: Royal Garrison Artillery
- died: Monday, September 30, 1918
- record ID: 255799
- Commonwealth War Graves Commission (ID #255799)
- Imperial War Museums: Lives of the First World War (ID #2207866)