Herbert Farrand Hogley (c.1883-1918)
An ongoing project to commemorate and research the lives of those who appear on war memorials and rolls of honour in the local area, who served in the military, or whose deaths were linked to conflict.
Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922
The following extract is from Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922 (2014) by J. Margaret Stansfield:
- HOGLEY, HERBERT FARRAND. Private. No 29304. 2nd Battalion Duke of Wellington's Regiment. Born Holmfirth. Son of Stephen Enoch and Mary Jane Hogley of Spring Grove, Thongsbridge; husband of Florence Hogley of 'Rock View', Liphill Bank, Holmfirth. Educated Holmfirth Wesleyan Day School and at the Higher Grade School, Huddersfield. Was employed in his father's business of Messrs Lawson and Hogley, painters and decorators, of Holmfirth. Enlisted September 1916. Embarked for France in January, 1917. Twice wounded. Killed in action, 23.6.1918, aged 34 years. Buried LE VERTANNOY BRITISH CEMETERY, HINGES. Grave location:- Row C, Grave 27.
- His wife received the following letter from a Second Lieutenant, commanding her husband's platoon, which read, 'It is with deep regret that I must inform you that your husband has paid the supreme sacrifice. He had only been with my platoon a few days and even in so short a time I have seen in him a thoroughly sound man. It was during 'stand-to' on the morning of the 23rd I had just visited that post where your husband was sentry when a shell burst just in front forming shrapnel, a piece of which killed Private Hogley instantenously. Perhaps it will be a little consolation to know that he was taken to a cemetery behind the lines and there received a proper burial service. The N.C.O.'s and men of his platoon wish me to convey to you their deepest sympathy in your sad bereavement and I also Madam wish to convey to you my deepest sympathy.'
- ROH:- Holmfirth War Memorial.
Commonwealth War Graves Commission
- Private HERBERT FARRAND HOGLEY
- regiment: Duke of Wellington's Regiment (West Riding)
- died: Sunday, June 23, 1918
- age: 34 years
- record ID: 247647
- Commonwealth War Graves Commission (ID #247647)
- Imperial War Museums: Lives of the First World War (ID #1920965)