Herbert Carlton (c.1887-1916)
Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922
The following extract is from Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922 (2014) by J. Margaret Stansfield:
- CARLTON, HERBERT. Private. No 31709. 12th Battalion Durham Light Infantry. Born Horsforth, Leeds. Son of William and Ann Carlton of Lascelles Hall, Kirkheaton, Huddersfield. Employed by Messrs Hodkinsons, printers, New Street, Huddersfield, as a compositor. Was a Sunday School teacher at Cowmes Wesleyan Chapel and a member of the Lascelles Hall Cricket Club. Was also a member of the Almondbury Society of the Sons of Temperance. Enlisted April, 1916, and embarked for France in July, 1916. Killed in action, 7.10.1916, aged 29 years. Has no known grave. Commemorated on the THIEPVAL MEMORIAL TO THE MISSING.
- ROH:- St. John's Church, Kirkheaton; Lepton Parish Church; commemorated on headstone in Kirkheaton Cemetery.
Commonwealth War Graves Commission
- Private HERBERT CARLTON
- regiment: Durham Light Infantry
- died: Saturday, October 7, 1916
- age: 29 years
- record ID: 1542190
- Commonwealth War Graves Commission (ID #1542190)
- Imperial War Museums: Lives of the First World War (ID #714390)