Hepworth Urban District

The Hepworth Urban District was formed at the end of 1894, replacing the Hepworth Local Board.

The district was administered by Hepworth Urban District Council which initially comprised nine councillors. The elected urban districts councils replaced Local Boards following the Local Government Act of 1894 and were given increased powers and responsibilities under the Act.

The nominations for the first district council were recorded as follows:[1]

  • Tom Bedford (farmer) of Hepworth
  • Adam Beever (farmer) of Wood Royd Hill
  • Swallow Charlesworth (farmer) of New Laitham
  • John Crossley (finedrawer) of Hepworth
  • George England (stonemason) of Hepworth
  • Jonathan Heap (gentleman) of Hepworth
  • John Heppenstall (farmer) of Little Law
  • Alfred Holmes (retired grocer) of Hepworth
  • William Mosley (farmer) of Syke House
  • James Nathaniel Holdswoth (farmer) of Hepworth
  • Joseph James Morton (farmer) of Hepworth
  • John F. Roebuck (bookkeeper) of Hepworth
  • Thomas Albert Shaw (farmer) of Crimes House
  • Thomas Shaw Tinker (landed proprietor) of Hepworth [Chair of the Local Board]
  • Wilson Wagstaff (labourer) of Fox House

The Hepworth Urban District was relatively short-lived and was amalgamated with Fulstone Urban District and Scholes Urban District to become the New Mill Urban District by the end of 1895.


The extent of the urban district is show below (based on the 1906 O.S. map):

Notes and References

  1. "The New District Councils" in Huddersfield Daily Chronicle (07/Dec/1894).