Christ Church, Helme

GEOGRAPHIC STUB
This page is a bare-bones entry for a specific location. More detailed information may eventually be added...

Details

  • location: Slades Lane, Helme
  • status: exists
  • architect: Pritchett and Sons
  • category: church

Erected in memory of Charles John Brook (1829-1857) by his relatives. Foundation stone laid by Charles John's 3-year-old son Charles Lewis Brook in August 1858. Built mostly from stone from Royd Edge Quarries and consecrated in November 1859 by the Lord Bishop of Ripon. The Church is noted for unusual lack of stained glass and shingled spire.

It is said that a rainbow appeared during Charles John's funeral at St. James's Church and it seemed to touch the ground at Helme – the family took this as a sign from their dear departed brother and selected the site accordingly.

The first incumbent of Christ Church was Charles John Brook's older brother, the Rev. James Brook.

The neighbouring vicarage and school, which replaced an earlier temporary structure, were also commissioned by the Brook family.

Historic England Listing

  • Grade II
  • first listed 24 January 1984
  • listing entry number 1300326
SLADES LANE (Helme). Christ Church. Gothic Revival church in Decorated style. Built 1859. Endowed by Charles Brook of Healey House, in memory of Charles John Brook of Thickhollins.

Exterior: Rock faced stone. Steeply pitched red plain tiled roof which becomes more shallow over aisles. Square tower in south- west corner. 4-bay buttressed nave. 2-bay chancel. Aisle windows are 3-light some with intersecting and some with reticulated tracery. 5-light east window and 4-light west window, both with Decorated tracery. South porch of timber on dwarf walls. 2-tier square tower with angle buttresses with off-sets. Small 2-light traceried, louvred bell chamber openings and round clock'faces, all, with hood moulds. Eaves cornice to tower which is surmounted by slender splay-footed shingled spire.

Interior: 4-bay arcade to north and south, on short octagonal piers. Arches are double chamfered. Long, light chancel with carved stone reredos, in form of blind arcade, with carved foliage in spandrels. Painted texts on walls including the Creed, the Lord's Prayer, and the Ten Commandments. Good gilded eagle lect of 1908 with Art Nouveau stem. No stained glass. Arched braced collar beam roof on corbel brackets.

Further Reading

Gallery

    Loading... ::::::geograph 39562:::geograph 3229164:::kia k003682:::instagram 2N9PJZDXbi:::

Location

Christ Church, Helme

Categories

Anglican churches | Buildings | Churches and places of worship | Listed buildings and monuments | Meltham Blue Plaque Trail | Stub entry
This page was last modified on 28 June 2017 and has been edited by Dave Pattern.

Search Huddersfield Exposed