This page is part of an ongoing project to commemorate and research the lives of those who appear on war memorials and rolls of honour in the local area, or who served in the military.
He was born on 26 June 1883 at Kirkheaton, the son of Emma Louisa Ainley, and baptised 12 September 1883 at St. John the Baptist, Kirkheaton.
He married Constance Haigh Hopkinson on 23 January 1913. The couple had one known daughter:
Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922
The following extract is from Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922 (2014) by J. Margaret Stansfield:
- AINLEY, HEFFORD WILLIAM ERNEST. Lieutenant. 168th Brigade Royal Field Artillery. Born 26.6.1883 at Kirkheaton. Son of John Shaw and Emma Louisa Ainley of Martin Bank, Somerset Road, Huddersfield. Attended Giggleswick School. Worked as a woollen manufacturer, first at the mill established by his grandfather, Mr Hefford Ainley, and then with Messrs John Taylor Limited, Colne Road. He married the daughter of Mr Joseph Hopkinson and lived at ‘Overstrand’, Sunnybank Road, Edgerton, and had one child. Enlisted 25.7.1916. Buried PUCHEVILLERS BRITISH CEMETERY. Grave location:- Plot 3, Row C, Grave 4.
- ROH:- St. Stephen's Church, Lindley; memorial in St. John's Old Churchyard, Kirkheaton.
Huddersfield Weekly Examiner (09/Feb/1917):
Died on the night of Sunday 4.2.17 from pneumonia supervening on burns. Lieutenant Ainley had gone behind the wagon lines for rest and was sleeping with a few fellow officers in a bivouac of timber, corrugated iron and canvas. During the night this building in some way caught fire. The other officer was overcome and rendered insensible whilst Lieutenant Ainley who dragged his friend to a place of safety was badly burned about the hands and feet and also about the head. He was removed as quickly as possible to a Casualty Clearing Station and every attention was paid to him. He appeared to be progressing very favourably with the burns but pneumonia set in and he passed away very quietly on Sunday as stated.
Commonwealth War Graves Commission
- Lieutenant HEFFORD WILLIAM ERNEST AINLEY
- regiment: Royal Field Artillery
- died: Sunday, February 4, 1917
- age: 33 years
- record ID: 510708
Notes and References