Healey House, South Crosland
- appears on maps: 1854 [#164]
- location on map: South Crosland
- status: still exists
- category: hall
- 1841 — Charles Brook (aged 45) and family
- 1851 — Charles Brook (aged 59) with his wife Anne (60) and family
- 1861 — Charles Brook (aged 69) with his wife Anne (70) and daughter Frances (37)
- 1871 — widow Anne Brook (81) and daughter Frances (47)
- 1891 — Frances Brook (67)
- 1901 — occupied only by servants
- 1911 — Thomas Brooke (35) with his wife Beatrice Gundreda (28) [daughter of E.H. Carlile] and their children
Historic England Listing
- Grade II*
- first listed 6 April 1967
- listing entry number 1183868
HUDDERSFIELD ROAD (south side). Meltham. Healey House.
Large detached residence, now divided. Late C18, built for the Beaumont family but tenanted by the Brook family until they purchased it circa 1820. Wings to each side added circa 1850 probably for Charles Brook (Sen.). Hammer dressed stone with ahslar dressings. Stone slate roof with broad ashlar stack to each gable. Two storeys. Symmetrical entrance front. The 3 central bays are pedimented. To left and right is single bay 2-storey wing and beyond these, the circa 1850 single storey wings. Central round arched doorway with fanlight with radial glazing bars, and Doric engaged columns supporting dentilled entabl.ature. 1st floor window, over, has blind balustrade with turned balusters, and surround with chambranles and small cornice. To each side, both floors, is sash window with glazing bars. The 2-storey wings have Venetian window to each floor with glazing bars. The centre light to the upper floor windows having cambered head.
The garden front has 3-bay central part with dentilled cornice and blocking course. Central doorway with rectangular fanlight and dentilled cornice, and slender franking lights. To 1st floor, over, is large Venetian window with glazing bars, moulded surround and small transoms to side lights, the whole being set in a round arched recess. To left and right is two storey bow with 3-light sash windows with glazing bars. The 2-storey wings have Venetian windows, as those to the entrance front. Balustraded parapet over. Circa 1850 single storey wing to each side, that to left formerly being a conservatory but infilled with stone in early C20, that to right formerly a coach house and later, kitchens. Both have 4 pilasters supporting a pediment the tympanum of the one to left being glazed.
Well preserved interior. Round vestibule with niches and doorways, and early C20 screen, in keeping. Dentilled ceiling cornice and centre rose. Cantilevered stone staircase, with shaped soffit to each step. Mahogany rail and wrought iron balustrade.