Harry Charlesworth (1886-1918)
An ongoing project to commemorate and research the lives of those who appear on war memorials and rolls of honour in the local area, who served in the military, or whose deaths were linked to conflict.
Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922
The following extract is from Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922 (2014) by J. Margaret Stansfield:
- CHARLESWORTH, HARRY. Gunner. No 151447. 87th Siege Battery Royal Garrison Artillery. Born Netherthong, Holmfirth, 10.6.1886. Son of the late James and of Millicent Charlesworth, 34 Whitehead Lane, Primrose Hill, Huddersfield. Educated at Netherthong National School. Employed as a cloth finisher by Messrs Shaw Brothers of Firth Street, Huddersfield. Single. Enlisted March 1917. Wounded at the Battle of Arras, 7.9.1917, but returned to duty. Died of wounds at No 23 Casualty Clearing Station, 7.9.1918, aged 32. Buried DUISANS BRITISH CEMETERY. Grave location:- Plot 5, Row H, Grave 40.
- ROH:- St. Matthew's Church, Primrose Hill; Netherthong and Thongsbridge War Memorial; commemorated on his parents' headstone in All Saints Churchyard, Netherthong.
Commonwealth War Graves Commission
- Gunner HARRY CHARLESWORTH
- regiment: Royal Garrison Artillery
- died: Saturday, September 7, 1918
- age: 32 years
- record ID: 169011
- History of Netherthong: Netherthong and its WW1 heroes
- Commonwealth War Graves Commission (ID #169011)
- Imperial War Museums: Lives of the First World War (ID #782743)