Harry Bray (c.1887-1918)
An ongoing project to commemorate and research the lives of those who appear on war memorials and rolls of honour in the local area, who served in the military, or whose deaths were linked to conflict.
Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922
The following extract is from Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922 (2014) by J. Margaret Stansfield:
- BRAY, HARRY. Driver. No 223380. 24th Battery, 38th Brigade Royal Field Artillery. Born Holmfirth. Son of Ben and Lucy A. Bray, of Hill Top, Cinderhills, Holmfirth. Educated at Holmfirth National School and was also a member of the Underbank Wesleyan School. A keen footballer and cricket player for the local teams. Employed by the Hinchliffe Mill Cooperative Society, being formerly manager of the Underbank stores and, before enlistment, manager at the Holmfirth branch. Enlisted April 1917. Married. Embarked for France in October, 1917. Died of pleurisy and pneumonia at Etaples Base Hospital, 16.4.1918, aged 30 years. Buried in ETAPLES MILITARY CEMETERY. Grave location:- Plot 29, Row D, Grave 10A.
- ROH:- Underbank War Memorial.
Commonwealth War Graves Commission
- Driver HARRY BRAY
- regiment: Royal Field Artillery
- died: Tuesday, April 16, 1918
- age: 30 years
- record ID: 499322
- Commonwealth War Graves Commission (ID #499322)
- Imperial War Museums: Lives of the First World War (ID #477544)