Harold Swallow (c.1895-1918)
An ongoing project to commemorate and research the lives of those who appear on war memorials and rolls of honour in the local area, who served in the military, or whose deaths were linked to conflict.
Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922
The following extract is from Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922 (2014) by J. Margaret Stansfield:
- SWALLOW, HAROLD. Lance Corporal. No 26393. 4th Battalion Grenadier Guards. Born Holmfirth. Son of Mrs Lydia Swallow of Longley, Holmfirth. Employed at Washpit Mills, Holmfirth. Attended Choppards Sunday School, where he was a member of the singing class. Was a member of the cricket club and gymnasium. Enlisted 15.8.1916. Killed in action, 13.4.1918, aged 22 years. Has no known grave. Commemorated PLOEGSTEERT MEMORIAL TO THE MISSING.
- ROH:- Hade Edge War Memorial.
Commonwealth War Graves Commission
- Lance Corporal HAROLD SWALLOW
- regiment: Grenadier Guards
- died: Saturday, April 13, 1918
- age: 22 years
- record ID: 869014
- Commonwealth War Graves Commission (ID #869014)
- Imperial War Museums: Lives of the First World War (ID #4330838)