Hark to Bounty (beerhouse), Golcar
GEOGRAPHIC STUB (LOCATION UNKNOWN)This page is a bare-bones entry for a specific location, although the exact geographic location is uncertain. More detailed information may eventually be added. If you know exactly where this was located, please get in touch!
- also known as: Hark! to Bounty
- location: Clough Head or Rocking Stone, Golcar
- status: uncertain
- category: public house, beerhouse, inn, etc.
The Hark to Bounty beerhouse was in existence by 1869 when Samuel Hirst was named as the licensee.
By 1871, Allen Hoyle (c.1834-?) had taken over the licence. He was one of several licensees admonished at the Brewster Sessions of 1877 for permitting gambling on his premises.
The exact location is currently unknown. Most sources state that it was at Clough Head or Fir (or Far) Hill, but one newspaper report gives the location as Rocking Stone (to the west of Clough Head). However, the 1871 Census implies that the beerhouse was located between Clough Head and Waller Clough, which suggests it may have been located here.
Notes and References
- ↑ The beerhouse may have taken its named from the well-known Hark to Bounty Inn at Slaidburn (Clitheroe). Another beerhouse of the same name was situated at Dobcross (Saddleworth).
- ↑ "Golcar: A Beerhouse-keeper Assaulting a Young Female" in Huddersfield Chronicle (17/Oct/1868).
- ↑ Allen Holye was formerly a stone quarrier (1861 Census) and had returned to being a mason's labourer by 1881.