Halifax Evening Courier (29/May/1922) - Huddersfield History
OPENING OF A MEMORIAL MUSEUM.
A distinct asset to Huddersfield is the Tolson Memorial Museum, which was opened on Saturday in the presence of a very large number of people
The museum is situated about a mile from the centre of the town and is in the midst of large grounds which will be open to the public. In these are the first Corporation tennis courts and bowling greens in the borough of Huddersfield.
Ravensknowle, the house which has been converted into a museum, was formerly the residence of Mr. Legh Tolson, who has made a gift of the house and estate to the Huddersfield Corporation as a memorial to his two nephews, Sec. Lts. R. H. Tolson and J. M. Tolson, who were killed in the war. The object of the museum is to illustrate the history of Huddersfield and the surrounding districts, and in accordance with this desire, the rooms have been arranged to illustrate, first, the natural physical feature, and second, the animal and plant life, leading up to the local history of man and his development. Dr. T. W. Woodhead, of the Huddersfield Technical College, has been responsible for the arrangement of the exhibits, which will be added to from time to time. Even at present the museum contains some very noteworthy exhibits. Among the most striking are those which illustrate the Anglo-Danish sculpture in the Huddersfield district. In this section are full-sized coloured reproductions of Anglican and Danish crosses, Hogback and the Osbert grave slab.