The Haigh Cross is a pillar dated 1808 that was erected on, or near to, the site of an older cross.
The site was visited in May 1867 during a tour of local antiquities by the Huddersfield Archaeological and Topographical Association:
Thence the party went to the Haigh Cross, traversing on their way the existing remains of the Roman Road. These are most clearly marked, along the whole length of the enclosure to the north of Haigh Cross, but the practice of gathering the stones off it, which is now being carried on, will, before long, do much to efface the track.
At Haigh Cross, about 140 yards south of the Roman road, the party halted for some time. The original cross, as appears by the inscription on the present one given below, was wilfully pulled down, and according to Mr. Stott, whose relatives resided near at the time, it was so much broken as to be incapable of restoration, and the fragments were buried under the present cross. This is a square stone pillar of considerable height let into a square base and bears the following inscriptions, &c., which tell their own tale.
On the east side facing the Haigh House Hill Road is, "A shield gules, three bars argent, re-erected by T.T., 1808, after being wilfully pulled down. — Haigh Cross."
On the west side — a grouse as crest, and below "Quarmby de Quarmby Crest 1304."
As the new cross would be intended to reproduce the main features of the old one, the connection of the cross with the family of Quarmby of Quarmby is of considerable interest, and an investigation of documents referring to the cross, if there be any, might disclose with accuracy the original purpose for which it was erected.In the immediate vicinity of the cross are appearances of intrenchments of some magnitude, which extend at intervals round the high ground lying between the cross and the Roman road. It was suggested that this high ground might be the watch hill referred to by Watson, and it certainly offers an admirable site for an intrenched position for specular purposes.
CROSLAND ROAD (West Side). Lindley Moor. Haigh Cross. Hammer-dressed monolithic pillar. One side inscribed with a coat of arms and the legend "Quamby's de Crest 1304". The other side inscribed with a coat of arms and the legend "Re-erected by T + T 1808. After being wilfully pulled down - Haigh Cross". Quarmby de Quarmby was one of the protagonists in the famous Elland feud of the C14.