- location: Wooldale
- category: area with properties
A former isolated community comprising farmsteads which was situated in Wooldale close to the boundary with Cartworth.
Place-Names of South-West Yorkshire (1913) by Armitage Goodall:
HADES, Marsden and Holmfirth. — Things are not always what they seem. A dialect-word hades which means "a place between or behind hills and out of sight" is recorded by EDD ; and the same authority gives another word hade as meaning "a headland or strip of land at the side of an arable field upon which the plough turns." The latter word is also recorded in NED and is explained as "a strip of land left unploughed between two ploughed portions of a field." But NED has also a verb hade which means to incline, to slope, and this seems to be connected with the Norw. dialect-word hadd, pl. haddir, explained by Aasen as a slope or incline. In 1534 Fitzherbert has the following expression: "Horses may be teddered vpon leys, balkes, and hades."
Holmfirth: Place-Names and Settlement (1994) by George Redmonds:
The early spellings point to a derivation from Middle English "haved", a variant of the word for head. In this case it is likely to refer to the headland which still dominates the landscape. The area was originally part of the waste in the graveship, with grants of new land there from the early 1300s. A settlement existed by 1474, with a family called Bray in occupation, and they were followed by Charlesworths, Firths, Bowers and Beaumonts. However the name Tinker was also associated with Hades between c.1400 and 1635. Hade Ing, an area of pasture in the district, was prominent for over 400 years.
Notes and References
- According to the Yorkshire Post (09/Feb/1954), a local pronounced it to rhyme with "shades".
- This information was provided by Kerry Sykes on the "Huddersfield Then and Now" Facebook group.