Greyhound Inn, Manchester Road, Huddersfield
- appears on maps: 1890 [#362]
- location: Manchester Road (formerly Wakefield and Austerlands Turnpike), Huddersfield
- status: still exists
- category: public house, beerhouse, inn, etc.
- notes: later known as the Greyhound Hotel
Opened by March 1852, the first landlord was likely George Mitchell (c.1801-1856), who had previously been the innkeeper of the Grey Hound Inn on Market Walk. As the inn on Market Walk was demolished circa 1851, it seems likely Mitchell simply re-used the name of his former inn.
Licencees, Landlords and Publicans
Dates of known licence transfers, etc:
- circa 1852 — George Mitchell (formerly of the Grey Hound Inn on Market Walk)
- August 1854 — Martha Sykes
- March 1856 — George Mitchell (who died at the start of November)
- November 1856 — Elizabeth Mitchell, widow of George
- January 1857 — Isaac Hammond (formerly of the Prince Albert beerhouse on Cross Church Street)
- by early 1880s — William Henry Hepworth
- 3 August 1881 — William Harrison
- 2 August 1882 — John Kendrew
- 17 February 1886 — Elizabeth Kendrew
- c.1900? — Walter Riley
- 14 October 1908 — Mary Ann Riley
- 5 April 1911 — Charles William Ellis
- 13 August 1913 — John William Shaw
- 7 April 1918 — David Walter Midgley
- 8 August 1928 — George Henry Schofield
Historic England Listing
- Grade II
- first listed 29 September 1978
- listing entry number 1134949
MANCHESTER ROAD (North Side). No 16 (The Greyhound Hotel). Early or mid C19. Ashlar. Pitched stone slate roof. Three storeys. Stone brackets to gutter. Band. Four ranges of sashes, those on ground floor with shaped and moulded surround. Two doors with three fielded panels each, one in modern window surround.
Notes and References
- "License Transfers" in Huddersfield Chronicle (26/Aug/1854).
- "Transfer of License" in Huddersfield Chronicle (08/Mar/1856).
- "Alteration in License" in Huddersfield and Holmfirth Examiner (15/Nov/1856) and "Transfer of License" in Huddersfield Chronicle (15/Nov/1856).
- Owner of the property named as Jane Blinkhorn in the Alehouse Licences.
- Owner of the property named as John Hadsworth in the Alehouse Licences.