This page is a bare-bones entry for a location which appears on an historic Ordnance Survey map. More detailed information may eventually be added...
- appears on maps: 1851 [#404]
- location on map: Market Walk, Huddersfield
- status: exists but under a different use
- category: public house, beerhouse, inn, etc.
- notes: with adjoining yard which ran up to New Street
George Mitchell, formerly the landlord of the Druid's Arms and the Druid's Hotel, became the licencee in August 1844.
The inn was demolished in 1851 or 1852 — reportedly due to it being "in a most dilapidated state" — and replaced with a new building. The name was then reused for the newly-opened Greyhound Inn on Manchester Road, of which Mitchell was the licencee at the time of his death in November 1856.
A proposal from Mr. J.C. Holt, the former landlord of the White Horse Inn on Beast Market, to transfer his licence to the new building on the former Grey Hound Inn site was rejected by magistrates in December 1856, who suggested that he would be better off applying for the licence of the then vacant Rose and Crown Hotel on Kirkgate. Holt had received £100 as compensation when the White Horse was pulled down "to make a much-desired public improvement in that locality."
Licencees, Landlords and Publicans
Notes and References
- ↑ "Huddersfield Brewster Sessions" in Leeds Intelligencer (31/Aug/1844).
- ↑ "Transfer of Licenses" in Huddersfield Chronicle (11/Oct/1856).
- ↑ "The Proposed Transfer of the White Horse Inn to the Market Walk" in Huddersfield Chronicle (06/Dec/1856).
- ↑ See "Ancient Shepherdesses" in Bradford Observer (16/Apr/1846), "The Annual Dinner of the Police Force" in Huddersfield Chronicle (04/Jan/1851), and "Testimonial to Mr. Oastler" in Huddersfield and Holmfirth Examiner (19/Apr/1856) .