The Greenfield and Shepley Lane Head Turnpike was first proposed in 1805, although it seems likely the scheme was never submitted for Parliamentary approval.
By June 1823, the turnpike trustees were advertising for tenders relating to "forming, making, stoning, and fencing" the new road.
A route from Greenfield to Huddersfield was opened up by the building of the Meltham and Wessenden Head Turnpike in 1825 which connected to the existing Lockwood and Meltham Turnpike and to the Huddersfield and Woodhead Turnpike at Lockwood.
From Greenfield, the route passed through the following toll points marked on the 1854 O.S. maps:
The turnpike trust was wound up in 1874.
Now known as the A635, the road ran from Greenfield via Holmfirth and New Mill to a junction at the Sovereign Inn near Shepley Lane Head which connected with the Barnsley and Shepley Lane Head Turnpike (east) and the Huddersfield and Penistone Turnpike (north/south).
The approximate route of the turnpike road, based on the 1854 O.S. map, is shown below: