Golcar Local Board

Huddersfield Chronicle (21/Apr/1860)

Golcar Local Board was the local authority body primarily responsible for issues relating to public health in the township of Golcar and was formed on 30 March 1860 with an initial membership of 12.

Typically elected by local rate payers and property owners, Local Boards were formed following the Public Health Act 1848 and the subsequent Local Government Act 1858, and had responsibility for the oversight of sewers, water supplies, public toilets, street cleaning, slaughterhouses, pavements, and burial grounds within their district.

Golcar Local Board District abolished at the end of 1894 and was superseded by Golcar Urban District.

Further Reading

Golcar Local Board

Categories

Local Boards
This page was last modified on 3 August 2018 and has been edited by Dave Pattern.

Search Huddersfield Exposed