Golcar Baptist Chapel, Chapel Lane, Golcar
- appears on maps: 1854 [#324], 1894 [#77]
- location on map: Chapel Lane, Golcar
- status: no longer exists
- category: church or chapel
The first chapel was built in 1835 on a nearby plot using money bequeathed by Thomas Sykes, a member of Salendine Nook Baptist Chapel. This chapel was built 1866-69, with the original chapel becoming the Sunday School. The Sunday School was later demolished and rebuilt 1896-97 and this was later converted for use as the church in 1967-70. The former chapel was demolished circa 1976.
- Golcar Baptist Chapel Sunday School, Chapel Lane, Golcar
- Golcar Baptist Chapel Manse, Chapel Lane, Golcar
The Baptist Magazine (1836):
A few years since, the sum of one hundred pounds was left by a respectable member of the Baptist church, at Salendine Nook, Mr. Thomas Sykes, towards the erection of a chapel for the Baptist denomination, in the neighbouring township of Golcar, parish of Huddersfield, Yorkshire; by the due allocation of which sum, and the benevolence of surrounding friends, a neat building, capable of seating 700 persons, has been erected, and entirely paid for. The chapel was opened April 22nd, 1835, when the Rev. Dr. Steadman, of Bradford, and the late Rev. Samuel Saunders, of Liverpool, officiated. A church consisting of twelve members, six of whom were recently baptized, and the remainder added from neighbouring churches, was formed on Dec. 23rd. The Rev. H. Holmes, of Pole Moor, commenced with reading and prayer; the Rev. Stephen Davis, of Clonmel, Ireland, preached from Eph. v. 24: "The church is subject to Christ." After the church was constituted, the Lord’s supper was administered by Mr. Davis, assisted by Mr. Holmes, and by the Rev. F.W. Dyer, of Lockwood. The hymns were read by the Rev. Geo. H. Davis, third son of the Rev. S. Davis. The congregations are uniformly good, and the prospect is very encouraging.
The Baptists of Yorkshire (1912) by Rev. C.E. Shipley:
The Golcar Church was formed in December, 1835. Mr. Thos. Sykes, a member of Salendine Nook, had bequeathed £100 for the erection of a chapel at Golcar, and Mr. Wm. Shaw presented the site. When opened in April, 1835, it had no debt. Rev. G. H. Davis — afterwards Dr. Davis, of the Religious Tract Society — was the first pastor (1835-7), and was followed by Revs. Wm. Colcroft (1837-43); Joseph Green (1843-4); John Ash (1845-6); John Whitaker (1847-52); Edward Franklin (1852-8); Henry Watts (1858-65); Thomas Bury (1866-81); Wm. Gay (1882-1908); G. Evans, B.A. (1909—). The first chapel did good service for thirty-four years, when a larger sanctuary became an imperative necessity. The present building, seating 1200, was opened in August, 1869, having cost with its furnishing £5000. The old chapel was then converted into school accommodation. In the jubilee year a renovation scheme was carried out, and a large addition of land secured to the graveyard. Still continuing to expand, a new school was erected on the site of the old chapel at an outlay of £2736, which was paid in about five years. That this did not impoverish the Church is seen by the fact that Golcar raised £1000 for the Twentieth Century Fund. In 1901, the purchase of an organ, and improvements to the chapel interior, cost nearly £2000. There is now at Golcar freehold property and premises covering nearly three acres; they have cost more than £13,000, and the whole is unencumbered by debt. In 1905, fearing that threatened building operations might be to the Church’s disadvantage, a large space in front of the chapel property was purchased and laid out in ornamental grounds, forming a parklike approach to the chapel. Golcar has sent three of her number into the ministry — Revs. A. Walker (Bradford); Joseph Gay (London); George Hirst (London); and she continues to support a mission cause at Ley Moor.
- Huddersfield & District Family History Society — burials 1835-1837