This page is a bare-bones entry for a location which appears on an historic Ordnance Survey map. More detailed information may eventually be added...
- also known as: The Globe Inn
- appears on maps: 1826, 1851 [#459], 1890 [#343]
- location on map: King Street, Huddersfield
- listed in: Baines (1822)
- status: still exists but now under a different use
- category: public house, beerhouse, inn, etc.
Believed to have opened in 1806 by Thomas Shaw. The Globe Brewery was part of the premises.
Thomas Marshall was the landlord by 1831 until his death in 1833, after which Joseph Brewer became the licensee until his death in March 1843. By 1851, the landlord was William Veevers.
By the 1870s, it was in the possession of wine and spirit merchant Abraham Spivey. It was offered for sale in February 1904 by Abraham's son, auctioneer Abraham Ernest Spivey.
As of 2016, the building was Thomson's Travel Agents.
Historic England Listing
- Grade II
- first listed 29 September 1978
- listing entry number 1313515
KING STREET. Nos 43 (The Globe Public House), 45 and 47. Early C19. Ashlar. Pitched stone slate roof. Three storeys. Stone brackets to gutter. Four ranges of sashes with plain raised surrounds. Arch to yard at rear taken on modern RSJ. Quite good late C19 or early C20 shop fronts. Entrance to No 43 has characteristic early C20 glazed tiles.
Notes and References
- ↑ Huddersfield in the 1820s (2009) by Edward J. Law, page 28.
- ↑ Leeds Mercury (17/Feb/1904).