Gledholt Hall, Gledholt Bank, Gledholt

This page is a bare-bones entry for a location which appears on an historic Ordnance Survey map. More detailed information may eventually be added...


  • appears on maps: 1851 [#170], 1905 [#16]
  • location: off Gledholt Bank, Gledholt
  • status: still exists
  • category: hall
  • notes: in grounds with lake to the south

Historic England Listing

  • Grade II
  • first listed 29 September 1978
  • listing entry number 1134243

GLEDHOLT ROAD (West Side). Gledholt. Of mediaeval origin, but little earlier than 1720 is apparently visible. Altered in late C18 or early C19, mid C19, and 1923. Rendered. Hipped stone slate roof. Twp storeys. Stone brackets to gutter. L-shaped plan. On the entrance side, ground floor of south block, and both floors of west block are apparently of 1720, although there is an extension of 3 ranges of sashes with glazing bars to east of south block. This has, on ground floor, from left to right; one 4-light stone mullioned window in double stepped surround, with chamfered mullions and close-set glazing bars; then an ashlar doorframe with 4-centred chamfered arch inscribed "I W E 1720" (for John and Ellen Wilkinson); then one 2-light stone mullioned sash with chamfered surround; then one 4-light stone mullioned window in double-stepped surround with chamfered mullions and close-set glazing bars. Stringcourse above. First floor has one round-arched stair window with glazing bars, one sash with glazing bars, one sash, one tripartite stone mullioned sash with glazing bars. Porch of circa 1920. West block has five 2-light stone mullioned casements with glazing bars on first floor, and on ground floor, one door with stone mullioned fanlight with glazing bars, then 2 mullioned and transomed crosses with glazing bars, then one 2-plus-2 light stone mullioned window, then one door with 6 sunk panels. Mid C19 ashlar stack, arched in centre, corniced, coped. Extension to north of west block: hammer-dressed stone: probably later C18. Band. 3 ranges of sashes with glazing bars (left hand ground floor one bipartite), of which centre bay breaks forward and is crowned by pediment with oculus in plain raised frame. Door with 6 sunk panels. Garden front regularised in late C18 or early C19. Ashlar. Moulded eaves cornice. Blocking course. 8 ranges of sashes with glazing bars in plain raised surrounds; central 1st floor sash has moulded surround. Door below it has frame with Tuscan half columns and segmental pediment. Ground floor has fretwork verandah. One door at south end with 6 panels, 4 fielded. Interior: Dining room has C17 oak panelling and good late C18 iron and brass grate with blue and white Delft tiles. Very large chamfered beams. Most interiors belong to the period of alterations in 1923, when they were executed by Messrs Libertys. History. The house was held by the Gledholts from the C13 until the C16, when it passed to the Hirsts. In 1686 the Hirsts sold it to Matthew Wilkinson of Greenhead Hall. His son John Wilkinson married Ellen Townley, daughter of John Townley of Newhouse Hall, and it is probably they who are responsible for much of the rebuilding of the house. From 1852 to 1868 it was occupied by T P Crosland, MP for Huddersfield (1865-8).