Gideon Shaw Kitchen (1897-1917)
Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922
The following extract is from Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922 (2014) by J. Margaret Stansfield:
- KITCHEN, GIDEON SHAW. Private. No 67273. 171st Company, Machine Gun Corps. Formerly No 36173 York and Lancaster Regiment. Born Birchencliffe 10.12.1897. Son of Mary Hannah Kitchen, 6 Brier Lane, Birchencliffe, Huddersfield. Educated Lindley Church of England School. Employed as a textile worker by Messrs Martin, Sons and Company, Wellington Mills, Oakes. Was a member of the Lindley Wesleyan Sunday School. Enlisted August 1916. Wounded in France, 21.4.1917. Died of wounds, 24.4.1917, aged 20 years. Buried ESTAIRES COMMUNAL CEMETERY EXTENSION. Grave location:- Plot 4, Row F, Grave 2.
- ROH:- St. Philip's Church, Birchencliffe.
- Brother of Private WALTER KITCHEN who died of wounds, 30.5.1918.
Commonwealth War Graves Commission
- Private KITCHEN
- regiment: Machine Gun Corps
- died: Tuesday, April 24, 1917
- age: 20 years
- record ID: 268697
- Commonwealth War Graves Commission (ID #268697)
- Imperial War Museums: Lives of the First World War (ID #3256476)