George Willie Dawson (c.1893-1916)
Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922
The following extract is from Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922 (2014) by J. Margaret Stansfield:
- DAWSON, GEORGE WILLIE. Private. No 14907. 2nd Battalion Duke of Wellington's Regiment. Born Holmfirth. Son of Mrs Firth Dawson of Hinchliffe Mill, Holmfirth. Attended Hinchliffe Mill Liberal Club and played football with the Holmbridge football club. Was an old scholar of Hinchliffe Mill Wesleyan School. Employed by Messrs Whiteley and Green Limited as a weaver. Enlisted January 1916. Killed in action on the first day of the Battle of the Somme, 1.7.1916, aged 23 years. Has no known grave. Commemorated on the THIEPVAL MEMORIAL TO THE MISSING.
- Brother of Private ARTHUR HOWARD DAWSON, killed in action, 7.7.1916.
Commonwealth War Graves Commission
- Private GEORGE WILLIE DAWSON
- regiment: Duke of Wellington's Regiment (West Riding)
- died: Saturday, July 1, 1916
- record ID: 756215