George William Beaumont (c.1893-1916)
Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922
The following extract is from Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922 (2014) by J. Margaret Stansfield:
- BEAUMONT, GEORGE WILLIAM. Private. No 3067. 1/5th Battalion Duke of Wellington's Regiment. Born Holmfirth. Son of Hirst and Harriet Ann Beaumont, 3 Hightown, Holmfirth. Employed by Messrs A. Thornton and Sons, Limited, Honley, in the finishing room. Enlisted August 1914. Embarked for France April, 1915. Reported missing, presumed killed, on 3.9.1916, aged 23. Buried in MILL ROAD CEMETERY. Grave location:- Plot 9, Row D, Grave 1. (Brother of Private HARRY BEAUMONT, died of pneumonia, 27.5.1915, q.v.).
- After various enquiries had been made in official and other quarters, his parents received the following letter from Lieutenant Brown, in February 1917, 'I regret to inform you that nothing has been heard of him since September 3rd, 1916. I think it is almost certain that he has not passed through any of our hospitals or you would have heard before this. I am afraid your only hope of his being alive is that he may be a prisoner and possibly wounded. I trust you will get definite news of him. please accept my heartfelt sympathy with you in your trouble.'
Commonwealth War Graves Commission
- Private GEORGE WILLIAM BEAUMONT (3067)
- regiment: Duke of Wellington's Regiment (West Riding)
- died: Sunday, September 3, 1916
- age: 23 years
- record ID: 544022