George Tye (1899-1918)

This page is part of a project by David Verguson to research the lives of those who appear on war memorials and rolls of honour in the Lindley area.


George Tye did not live in the Lindley area but in the village of Blackley which lies just outside the Huddersfield. He warrants inclusion in this study because his name is recorded on the Kew Hill Chapel memorial (now in the care of the East Street Methosist Church) and Kew Hill was within Lindley boundaries and some of the men lived well within the village and their names are recorded on other memorials.

Joseph Tye, a labourer, married Agnes Holroyd in Elland parish church on 21 January 1899 and George seems to have been born six months later.

At the time of the 1901 census the family lived in Old Earth Street in the centre of Elland, not far from Agnes's widowed father James, and Joseph worked as a "clay miner" which might explain why the family had moved to Blackley by the time George joined the army in 1917. Joseph may then have worked at the brickworks.

Sadly Agnes died soon after the census towards the end of 1901, possibly in childbirth.

Wherever he worked Joseph was not adverse to a drink: in April 1906 he sentenced to "7 days Hard Labour" for being drunk on "licenced premises"! Again, he gave his occupation as "miner".

George was called into the army at Halifax on the 18 July 1917 though "deemed to have enlisted" on 24 June 1916. He gave his occupation as "woolen piecer" and his address as 16 Cross, Blackley, not very far from his address in south Elland in 1901.[1] He had registered for service under the Derby Scheme on 24 June 1916, when he only just seventeen years old.

At his medical George was described as 5' 6" tall and weighing 120 lbs, or about 9½ stone, with a chest measurement of 38". He had flat feet which was not enough to exclude him from military service. He was given dental treatment.

After initial training at Rugley and Catterick George was transferred to the Durham Light Infantry in November and was probably at the Front by the end of the year.

George was killed during the German spring offensive as were many local men. The family were living at 8 Bath Street, Elland at the end of the War and interestingly, both George's grandfathers were still alive.

Joseph was living at South Parade further down in Elland by the time the army were sending out George's medals and the Commonwealth War Graves Commission was in touch. Following the death of Agnes, Joseph had re-married, probably around 1907, and had another son, Lewis, who he could describe as George's "half-brother".

George is remembered on the Elland memorial at Hullenedge Park as well as on the Blackley Chapel plaque.

Commonwealth War Graves Commission



Notes and References

  1. It has proved difficult to find the family in the 1911 census.